Monday, November 2, 2009

golf

What is it about the game of golf
The passion the "hold" it takes on you
I wish I could fashion more graciously more amenable
to the space in my head that I've assigned it to.
When nothing goes right I blame my partner
my bad back, my menopause, my putter
I furtively look over my shoulder to make sure
the party behind us is ignoring what's ahead
Not saying to each other - look at that! she hasn't hit a good one yet
She needs to get a grip on this game or quit it;

Shorten your back swing I tell myself
Don't try to hit the ball so hard
Keep your head down Keep your head down
You might as well give up if you can't keep your head down
It's all about the golf gods we laugh with the others
It's all about the golf gods as they strike you down for
making that perfect shot. They allow perfect rarely
as if they weren't paying attention
So that you think they've gone for lunch
And your ball sails right into a huge sand trap.

2 comments:

  1. I have exactly the same feelings when I golf! In fact, I once took a beaded Christian Fish trinket my neice made for me, and dismantled it and reworked the beads into a golf score keeper thing and immediately sensed that God did not approve of this blasphemy and proclaimed that I would not "excel" at the game of golf for my Christian symbol desecration. I could be just paranoid, but I think it may be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ char. there is karma in golf for sure. maybe if i play enough, i'll atone for my sins?

    ReplyDelete