Friday, November 20, 2009

Garbage


Great name. It's not really an 'incinerator'. More like a 'garberator'.
This new place we bought has one. In the sink.
You put garbage down the hole in the sink. The switch is under the sink. With the tap turned on and a pretty big noise, these little blades go round and round and chew up the garbage and send it down some hole to oblivion. One blade goes around one way and the other blade goes round the opposite way.
But whatever way they go - there is very little garbage remaining.
Its favorite garbage is veggie and fruit garbage. A visit to the website says "Ham bones!?" "Drumsticks"!? "Pork bones"!? I haven't gone there yet, and don't think I will. The website has pics of carrots, pasta, celery, potato peels, drumsticks.
I love this thing.
Peel and chop and throw the rest in the sink. Push it down. Wash it down.
One day I went down the hole. Yep. Put on my plastic glove and felt around down there. Found a few "leftovers" - and from then on I clean it regularly this way. Nothing is left in the grinding chamber.
We eat a lot of onions. Peel a big onion. I'm wasteful and I throw out a good-sized outer ring. After grinding, here's what I found. The thin brownish papery outer part? Untouched! the blades don't touch it! Although damp of course, it's uncut and all there. Too delicate.
But this baby can chop up a pile of stuff in seconds. In most cases, leaving nothing.
It's my favorite toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment