Thursday, November 19, 2009

Diagnosis



Diagnosis
by Sharon Olds

By the time I was six months old, she knew something
was wrong with me. I got looks on my face
she had not seen on any child
in the family, or the extended family,
or the neighborhood. My mother took me in
to the pediatrician with the kind hands,
a doctor with a name like a suit size for a wheel:
Hub Long. My mom did not tell him
what she thought in truth, that I was Possessed.
It was just these strange looks on my face—
he held me, and conversed with me,
chatting as one does with a baby, and my mother
said, She’s doing it now! Look!
She’s doing it now! and the doctor said,
What your daughter has
is called a sense
of humor. Ohhh, she said, and took me
back to the house where that sense would be tested
and found to be incurable.

Sharon Olds teaches creative writing at New York University and lives in an apartment on the Upper West Side, where she sits in a rocking chair with a view of the Hudson River and writes poems. She begins writing, she says, when "a poem has formed itself, or its beginning, within me, and it's time to get a pen and notebook and sit over there on the rocking chair next to the window and try to bring forth that which is within."

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to add this woman's name to my "people to follow" list. Here's what she said in response to an invitation to lunch with Laura Bush in 2005
    "So many Americans who had felt pride in our country now feel anguish and shame, for the current regime of blood, wounds and fire. I thought of the clean linens at your table, the shining knives and the flames of the candles, and I could not stomach it."
    Isn't that an amazing piece of writing?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should all try to write a poem the way Rob has written one. Take single lines from 20 or so different blog entries and put them together into a poem. It would be an amazing stream of interrupted conscientious. The gauntlet has been thrown....I await your poetic response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. Rob's poem worked.
    I will pick up the gauntlet with snippets from my 12 June blogs.
    I will publish the result forthwith.

    ReplyDelete