Sunday, May 24, 2009

Writing

I just read about this guy who was trying to write a huge novel - a story that would cover everything he'd ever wanted to say.
He got bogged down. And one day, he started a brand new page and didn't stop until he had 15 pages done.
"He saved the file under the name "X," and didn't tell his editor, agent, or even his wife that he had started a new project. He said, "I didn't stop to think about what I was doing … or what the critics would think of it, and sweetest of all, I didn't give a single thought to what I was trying to say. I just wrote." Almost two months later, he gave his wife more than 100 pages to read, and she started laughing out loud while she was reading, so he knew that it was good. He finished it in seven months."
He didn't give a single thought to what he was trying to say. What a sweet moment that must be. I think I'll try that. I have a feeling I might be good at it.
Sometimes he'll say to me "So, what are your plans for the day?"
"I don't have any" I'll answer.
15 minutes later, I'm working at the spot of something on the carpet that's been bugging me. Then the carpet in the hallway at the front door. The glass on the door is dirty. I end up cleaning all the windows on the east side of the landing.
Well, you get my meaning. This is how I function.
I don't give a single thought to what I might do that day.
Maybe if we manage this kind of "free flow" writing - maybe if we have fun with it - it gets easy, the way it's supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment