Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jigsaw Table



Jigsaw puzzles are one of my favorite things.  I decide I want to have one "on the go" all the time.  Part of my day.
I was using a card table on the landing upstairs, but it was ugly.
So I go shopping.  "Look, I'm not going to have a glass of wine with a friend up there, I'm not going to read a book.  I'm going to work on the puzzle, look out the window to check on the world, perhaps sit on a comfy chair the odd time with a phone call."
I walked right by it at first.  It had been on the floor for awhile, had the odd ding here and there, so it was priced right.  Although I had no idea what my table might look like, this turned out to be the exact thing.  And it looked even better when the delivery guys said "where?" and I said "right against that wall".
So now I pour my second cup of coffee and head right up here.
I've discovered that you can do a jigsaw puzzle and listen to the radio at the same time.  They seem to use different parts of the brain.
I get my puzzles from the Pomegranate website.  They cost about $18 each, and a lot of them are from the Boston Museum. 
I order about 10 at a time.Takes me about 2 months to do a puzzle.
I choose the hardest ones -  take a piece and move it slowly back and forth over the puzzle pieces saying "Are you my mother?"

Not sure whether Frank Lloyd Wright's "Pencils" is hard.  Maybe it will be easy. 


But how about this "Huichol Yarn Painting!".



My system is chaotic - a whole bunch of a certain color.  Small completed sections dotted everywhere.  You can't believe the rush when you pick up one of these and it slips so smoothly and magically into the big picture.
I whisper a lot - "You are a genius!"  "Just look!  Did you see what I just did!".  My pretend friend giggles her congratulations and I go down for more coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment