Sunday, January 2, 2011

know any good jokes?


Laughter.  I miss it.  We would laugh so much when we were kids. Big bursts of laughter. Trying to catch your breath laughter.  Stopping and then erupting again laughter.  Almost weeping laughter.  It was always with girlfriends - mostly in a girlfriend's bedroom where we all went for privacy back in those days of tiny little homes. It could start over anything. Something that happened in school or in our own kitchens, or at the store or just talking.  Girls are giggly, and anything could set us off.  "she started down the hill, and then things went way too fast, and her legs  - - - ".  Laughter in wave after wave, in glorious eruptions. We'd try to talk again, or add some fresh take on the scene - the laughter would start again and you wouldn't be able to finish. Helpless, uncontrollable laughter, and the best fun ever. Not sure whether "side-splitting" is still used, but it's true.  Sometimes, you thought that you would break something inside your body.  The most painful sessions would be in the middle of class.  Something would set us off, just 2 or 3 good girlfriends with the same sense of humor.  Maybe an answer to a question, or a silly face by the classroom clown. Then we'd try to be quiet, and the laughter would become almost a sob.  We'd get it under control, and then one of us would turn to look back at the other, and it would start again.  The teacher would know exactly what was going on and we would be scolded.  It usually ended there.  Sometimes something would happen in church, and then we'd have to deal with parents.  I still remember running out of the church one time, because I simply could not stop laughing.  It was such a high.  Boys didn't seem to do it as much, and they would be inclined to look over at us as if we were nuts, with that "I hope they aren't laughing at me" take on it.  I remember how good we felt after a laughing fit.  Very exhilarated.Very loose.Very energetic.
I don't have a sense of when that kind of sheer hilarity stopped.  I remember laughing a lot well into our twenties, but not as much as the years went by.  Sad.  I said to a friend the other day that I wanted to start a "laughter" file.  She sent me something not long after, but it didn't work. Really good laughter has to be spontaneous, I think.  It's not something you can book into your week.  "Let's see now, I'll book laughter for Friday night.  I think that would be a good night to laugh".
I read something last week that started me thinking about the subject.
"Laughing is found to lower blood pressure, reduce stress hormones, increase muscle flexion, and boost immune function by raising levels of infection-fighting T-cells.  It triggers the release of endorphins, and produces a general sense of well-being. Hospitals are incorporating formal and informal laughter therapy programs into their therapeutic regimens."
I was watching what could have been one of those programs on YouTube the other day.  Mmmmm.  I'm not sure how really genuine it looked to me.  Seemed there was too much heartiness, too much "put-on" about it, too much trying too hard to make it work.
You can't really make it happen, can you? It's like a special something when you least expect it. You're watching TV for instance.  Golf Channel the other day.  The golfer takes off shoes and socks and steps into the lake.  This is unlikely enough to be funny to start with and then he swings his club real hard and the water floods all over him. The camera zooms into the golf ball sitting in exactly the same spot. It was good for a solid giggle - a "way from the bottom" giggle that is genuine and delightful but doesn't go much further than that. But it felt good.  
 

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you're talking about. Why don't we laugh like that when we get older? Even watching young people do it makes them seem kind of alien.
    Occasionally something will tickle my funny bone and it's fun to see how the kids react to Mom crying with laughter, unable to stop. The look half afraid, half enraptured. And, of course, they laugh.

    ReplyDelete