Friday, February 12, 2010

Hurray Canada!


The Opening Ceremony was pretty good. (notice how it's not 'ceremonies' any more). That snow boarder coming down the mountain and into the stadium was sensational. But when he bent down to take off his board, I was astonished! Why did he spoil the rush of the moment like that! Just to raise his arms and say welcome? Why did he need to take off the board?
And the O Canada - the girl in the red dress. Disappointing. We wanted Big. We wanted Emotional. It was the wrong place for this arrangement. There was a slump.
The costumes of the natives were absolutely incredible. Their dancing was sensational. Bravo!
The long shot of the stadium took my breath away - stunning.
Notice how everyone is a star these days? Those athletes all marched in under the usual banners in the usual order. But nowadays they stare at the camera, wave, shout, smile, take pictures of themselves, not a shy one in the lot. It's great fun and really adds energy. I thought the stadium was almost hushed when the Americans entered. Was it our TV audio? Or did the audience send some sort of message.
I sensed a bit of tentativeness to the proceedings generally, I have to admit. A feeling of things being sort of made up on the spot. The RCMP flag contingent didn't seem to go together. It was as if they were so busy trying to be politically correct - right amount of women, natives, so on and so on, that it looked like a hodge podge in a way. They were all such different sizes.
kdlang. Hallejulah. Not her best take on the song. She seemed to be having problems closing.
I was thrilled with Wayne Gretzky, and Joni Mitchell, and Sara McGlaughlin (sensational).
As a Canadian, I certainly did my share of emotional gulps and reaching for the kleenex.
I loved every minute. I am not in Canada right now, and I miss not being there.
I am proud of my country. I will always feel honored to be a Canadian.
It's the best nation in the world.



2 comments:

  1. I loved that poem. He had the audience in the palm of his hands! Jessica knows this guy. This poem was actually used in a commercial, once. I have to say, he did a wonderful job reciting it. Maybe I was caught up in the atmosphere and pride of the moment, watching the show from my seat in the upper bowl of BC Place. I was sitting next to a family from Richmond with their grandparents. I'm sure by the sounds of their constant translations for eachother, they were new Canadians or at the very least the grand parents were. And they were glowing with pride, too!

    ReplyDelete