Monday, April 27, 2009

"It will steal your soul"

So perceptive for a young person.
It was on Facebook. My granddaughter pondered doing those quiz things that the kids do. And a friend of hers answered "Don't start. It will steal your soul".
It seemed to strike a chord - as if she were talking to me.
Crossword puzzles. The Saturday Globe and Mail. Not an easy one. But I plow into it every week. With morning coffee. On the frig door. During commercials. At bedtime. It's a likeable challenge, but it comes with frustrations and feelings of inadequacy. And for what? Surely my time could be better spent.
Sudoku. I have a sister than can do the really hard Sudoku games. I feel myself getting hooked - found a good website the other day. They always make it sound like a piece of cake. "You still working on that?" he says. "Well, I thought I had it licked, and then it slapped me back down like a piece of meat!" Kind of like the game of golf I could have said to him.
A girlfriend loves bridge. Get the software, she was told. Play on the computer.
"Are you kidding!" she answered, "I would be playing it all the time!"
She knew. She knew instinctively that for some of us, it can steal your soul.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true of so many things in life. When a person concentrates on only one thing, that thing can rob you of yourself. Like vegetarianism. Unless you are clinically required to limit yourself to just one thing, life should be experienced in an "all things in moderation" kind of way. Don't be only about religion, only about work, only about weight loss or self expression. Even writers need to experience the world around them to be able to write at all. My philosophy in life is to live large, eat well, dream big, give freely, love truly. I'm so glad you are back in the blogosphere. And also appreciate your comments on my offerings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have given my soul to the globe and mail.

    i agree with char on the one thing thing. i don't want motherhood to become my one thing. probably i am too shallow for that but i can see how easily it happens.

    ReplyDelete