Monday, November 1, 2010

A good cuppa -


I was talking to a girlfriend awhile ago about trying to make a good cup of coffee.
We both complained about poor taste, bitterness, and inconsistency - never really knowing whether the coffee was going to turn out good that morning or not.
A couple of months ago, without any previous thoughts on the subject, I found myself filling my kettle with cold water and setting the burner on high.  I took my coffee maker carafe  and just spooned the coffee right into the bottom of it.  When the water came to a boil, I poured it into the carafe!  "Well now," I thought, "this should be good for a laugh".  I stared with some nervousness at the carafe sitting on the counter - half filled with what looked like dark brown sludge.  Using a sieve, I poured the sludge into 2 coffee mugs.  There was as lot of coffee grounds in the sieve.  I felt really stupid .  But guess what? The coffee tasted completely awesome!  I watched Merv's face, and sure enough,  "Boy, what did you do with the coffee?  It tastes delicious!"
Needless to say, I kept doing this every morning.  I kept the carafe, but threw out the rest of the coffee maker.  I started experimenting. Stirred the coffee a bit, stirred it a lot, let it sit for 5 minutes before serving, let it sit longer. The only change was that sometimes I would have less coffee grounds in the sieve.  Other than that the coffee remained completely perfect in taste.  Never wavered.  Merv and I started having little snits about "you took too much coffee!".  There was never any coffee left over.  (We have always used our microwave to "re-hot" our coffee so this remained the same.)
On our travels one time, we stayed at a bed and breakfast with a kitchen!  Whatever you liked for breakfast was already in the frig. We loved this arrangement, and got to use a "french press" coffee maker there.  I thought back to this and decided that this was close to what I was doing in my kitchen.  I was making coffee by pouring hot water into coffee grounds.  Last weekend we bought a french press coffee maker - a "Bodum".  Looks exactly like the picture above.  Not sure if it is big enough.  It bills itself as an 8-cup pot, but I think it translates into about 4 cups of coffee.  It makes the same cup of coffee as mine. Tastes exactly the same.  I look forward to it with complete confidence every morning.
A perfect way to start the day.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Bernice! I'm so glad you're back. I like French Press coffee, too. I think the Breville machine we have is basically the same concept. Hot water is poured through the grounds just once and into the cup. But unfortunately with the Breville, there's no quick top up of a cup with the carafe and no heavenly smell of coffee brewing in the house. The best coffee I've ever had is the coffee on Salt Spring in out little black and decker drip maker. For some reason, it beats everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. That's the mystery of coffee. Who knows what makes it perfect.

    ReplyDelete