Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Wiley Willie"



We meet on the 12th hole.  I am looking for my ball, notice this movement to my left and there he is.  He scares the daylights out of me!  And he's just a little bird.
I freeze.  He doesn't move.  His eyes say "What the hell are you doing here?"
I look for Merv - wanting him to see this. Too far away. And the party behind us has driven and are heading down the fairway.  I have to get moving.
I take 2 steps forward.  He doesn't move.
I rummage in my pocket for the camera.  Try another step forward.  He still doesn't move!  This is some brave wee owl.  And look at him.  He looks fierce!  Positively fierce.  He's defending his home to the death and he's not going anywhere.
I finally spot my ball - and luckily not in his way.  I have to get going, so I shoot quickly, and look back.  He's gone.



2 comments:

  1. Is this little guy on a golf course here or down south? Is it a borrowing owl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, let's see. I would guess this was Phoenix. Because when we golfed with Scott and Bonnie, there was another family living in one of the sand traps! I have pictures of that family, too. Bonnie was thrilled.
    Yes, a burrowing owl. They are fascinating creatures.

    ReplyDelete