Thursday, May 6, 2010

Georgia

Georgia O'Keefe
Many years ago, I started my own little "museum" - works of art that I liked.  This was one of them.
Through the miracle of the internet, I was able to look through the massive collections at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and pick 50 works of art. I've had this collection for 20 years, and I still visit it occasionally - throw out some stuff and put in other stuff.
Photography has always been a favorite.  This photograph was taken by Georgia O'Keefe's husband, Alfred Steiglitz, a 'pioneer' photographer.  They must have been quite the pair, because she was an artist, and did some pretty weird stuff that everyone oh'd and ah'd about.
But those hands!  Look at those beautiful hands.  Here's what she said about this picture that her husband took:
"My hands had always been admired since I was a little girl.  But I never thought much about it.  He wanted head and hands and arms in many different positions.  Steiglitz  had a very sharp eye about what he wanted to say with the camera.  When I look over the photographs that he took of me - some of them more than 60 years ago I wonder who that person is . It is as if in one life, I have lived many lives."
They loved New Mexico and lived in Santa Fe for many years.
She died in 1986 at the age of 98.


2 comments:

  1. cora is a huge fan of georgia o'keefe. at the vancouver art gallery, these are the ones that capture her attention and get her comments. would love to see more of your favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes - Somehow I knew that Cora would like her art. It never gets too involved. She keeps 'em simple.
    I already have the next one in mind if I can just pull it together the way I want it to look.

    ReplyDelete