Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cosmetics


The cosmetic line was called "Concept Now".
My girlfriend Donna was using this stuff, and she was gorgeous.  She made sure I was one of her first customers.  It was pretty expensive. Being newly married, we didn't have a lot of money.
Donna organized a "Concept Now" party at her house. These parties were always wild. No one can do "girl talk" as well as a roomful of 20-somethings having a few drinks .
It was a good product. Always keen on skin care, I used the creams and cleansers religiously.  I wasn't much for makeup, but Donna insisted that I get their "blush" product.  It was a wonderful copper-y color with a bit of a glint.  Sprinkle some on a tissue, rub the brush into it and it lasted for 3 or 4 weeks.  Pick up the brush and apply gently. I loved it right from the first moment.
I stayed with the "Concept Now" line for many years.  Then Donna left town, and I discovered Shiseido.  But she was right about the "blush".  I still remember us looking at that little bottle 50 years ago and her saying "Wow, there's a lot of powder in there!  You'll be long gone before this little bottle is empty!"
I don't where Donna is today, but her "Concept Now" blush is still alive and well.  In fact I held the bottle up to the light this morning just as she and I did 50 years ago, and it looks as if there is still a third of the bottle left!
Does is sound weird to think of this little bottle as a friend?  I don't think so.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Yes, anything that stays that loyal and hangs around just waiting for you to acknowledge it on your terms, is a friend! I have always admired your interest in simple things that have great impact. This is a very special trait! The best writing in the world is the intimate observance of an ordinary thing that lifts it to the realm of extraordinary. It's not the bottle, or its contents that touches your heart, its the tiny thread of attachment that has lasted so long and is treasured so deeply. I love that you photographed it, too.
    Char

    ReplyDelete