Saturday, June 27, 2009

Movin' On -the last day

June 25th, 2009

We are gone tonight.
The piano guys arrive at 8 am. Take the piano apart. Load it.
“Look at the bolts on these legs. Never tightened properly. Once we get to your moving company, it’s going to be put on the floor, what they do with it we don’t know. Just moved Dr. Hegland’s piano. He got us to move it all the way to Vancouver. And we did it in good shape. Why aren’t you using local. Hey, Ginny, watch that!”

Mover arrives to load the boxes. Good looking guy. Whistles. “Oh yah, I’m doin’ fine. Just about done. You have everything packed up good. Easy job. You folks take care, eh?”

Merv is cutting the grass for the last time.
It never ends, I’m thinking. Here I am in this empty house, staring at the damp cloth in my hand. Now, let’s see. Will I need this again?

I’m depressed about my packing. Too much stuff. Should have stored more of my clothes. I feel just like the pack rat that I’m always accusing Merv of being. He’s done a lot better job.

He takes another trailer load of garbage to the Waste Treatment Plant. Will take the trailer to Innisfail and see what he can get for it.

Dale arrives to take the last stuff. He’s like a kid. “You mean you don’t want any money? You’re giving us all this?” We sit on the front step and have a beer. Merv gets back in time to join us. I’m starting to feel a little better. My lack of sleep has turned me into a zombie. Dale honks goodbye as he drives away.

We lock up. Drive around and park in front of the river. 5 golf balls for me. 5 for Merv. It’s a lot farther to the other side of the river than it seems. I have one bad shot, but the other 4 are exhilarating. We’re laughing somewhat giddily. Merv’s last shot is a doozie – Yes, right over to the other side. Bingo! We find ourselves hugging each other and half crying. It’s a gorgeous evening and I don’t want to go. I don’t want to leave the river.

2 comments:

  1. It must have been another emotional day for you. I asked my Mom yesterday, how she felt when she left Moose Jaw. She said she remembered the drive down her street and out of town and how she kept thinking, "That's the last time I will see this little house, this tree, this park, this store......" she had lived in Moose Jaw for 22 years. Not in the same house, but the same town.
    I hope you have lots of good visits with your friends and lots of wonderful adventures ahead of you. We look forward to seeing you out here this summer. Take care, Bernice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete